Arcadia Falls to Muir, 38-0

By Tim Peterson, Sports Editor

By Tim Peterson

Arcadia, CA – Joshua Muema-washington threw four touchdown passes to four different receivers to lead Muir to a 38-0 rout of Arcadia Friday night at Salter Field. With the win the Mustangs improved to 6-0 in the Pacific League.

It was all Muir from the get go as the Mustangs raced out to a 17-0 first quarter lead. Andres Brown set up the first score with a 61 yard run down to the Arcadia 13 yard line. Jorge Castro capped the dirve with a 27 yard field goal. Later in the quarter, the Mustangs struck quick. After forcing an Apache turnover, Muema-Washington hit Mason Taeon for a 41 yard touchdown and a 10-0 lead.

On Muir’s next possession, lightning struck again. Marceles Clash, (yeah Clash!) took a short screen pass, got a block at the line of scrimmage and raced 75 yards for a touchdown and while the Arcadia faithful were still finding parking spots on Duarte Road it was 17-0 Mustangs.

The Apaches held Muir scoreless in the second quarter but couldn’t get anything going offensively themselves against Muir’s stout defense.

In the second half, Muir picked it right up again. The Stangs marched 56 yards on nine plays with Lamarr McDaniels catching a six yard bullet from Muema-Washington to finish it. Early in the fourth, Muir took advantage of yet another Arcadia turnover. A 47 yard drive ended with a three yard Muema-washington touchown toss to Mark Samuels for a 31-0 lead.

Muema-washington completed 13 of 21 for 258 yards and four touchdowns with two interceptions. He completed passes to seven different receivers.

“We have the weapons and we decided we want to use them instead of focusing on one or two guys,” said Muir Coach John Hardy. “We have a lot of talent on this team. We don’t have stars, we have a lot of good players and we want to start making people aware of everybody so we can kind of dicate what we want to do to them. Josh has been doing that since he was a freshman for us.”

The Mustangs added a late touchdown in the fourth when sophomore Devin Leagons got loose and scampered 20 yards for a score.

Arcadia struggled all night offensively turning the ball over six times including one on a fumbled punt that led to the last Muir score. Joey Willm caught three passes for 70 yards but everybody else was held in check. Arcadia gained just 34 yards on the ground.

For the Mustangs, Clash had two receptions for 81 yards, Taeon had three for 59, and Brown combined for nearly 100 yards rushing and receiving.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*