Area Football Round Ups

By: Joe Torosian, Sports Writer
November 7, 2012 • 263 views

La Salle 73, Bosco Tech 3

The Lancers (10-0, 5-0) completed their first undefeated regular season with a complete destruction of the Tigers (1-8, 1-4) to capture their first title since the formation of the Del Rey League and they first league title since  the days of the old Camino Real league, Friday night at La Salle High.

The Lancers had no trouble scoring early and often on the Tigers, taking a 21-0 lead before the Tigers got on the board with a 22-yard field goal by Adrian Becerra midway through the second. The Lancers would then score three more touchdowns sending the game into the half up, 42-3. The Lancers scored the next 31 points unanswered, setting up the end of the game on a running clock.

Duarte 41, Bassett 30

The Falcons (5-5, 4-3) ended a three-game losing streak in Montview League play by holding off the Olympians (3-7, 2-5) keeping their slim chances for one of the three wild-card spots in the Northwest Division playoffs alive Friday night at Duarte High’s Falcon’s Nest Stadium.

Although the Olympians took an early 3-0 lead into the second qwuarter, the Falcons scored three touchdowns in the quarter to send the game into halftime up 21-3. In the fourth quarter, the Olympians scored three touchdowns and cut the lead, but the Falcons held on for the win.

Monrovia 35, Temple City 14

The Cats (8-2, 5-0)captured their 29th consecutive Rio Hondo League win as they captured the league title outright for the fifth straight year as they knocked off the Rams (5-5, 3-2) who despite the loss, locked up a berth in the Mid-Valley Division playoffs, Friday night at the Monrovia Sports Complex.

The win gave the Cats their sixth overall title in as many years, the only co-championship of that run coming in 2007, when they shared the title wioth Blair, the last team to beat the Cats in league play. Although he carried the ball just four times for 58 yards, GeVontay Ainsworth scored three touchdowns for the Cats, while quarterback Blake Heyworth connected with Mason Bryant twice in the second quarter.

Chris Reed was one of the lone bright spots for the Rams, getting the Rams on the scoreboard after a fumbled punt return put the Rams inside the Cats’ red zone midway through the final quarter. Reed would score from a yard out to prevent the shutout.

Crescenta Valley 23,  Arcadia 7

The Falcons (5-5, 3-4) ended their season on a positive note by handing the Apaches (4-6, 4-3) a second consecutive defeat to end the Regular season Friday night at Arcadia High’s Apache Stadium.

Sophomore quarterback Brian Gadsby, starting just his second game at the varsity level, threw 21 of 36 passes for 204 yards and scored a five-yard touchdown to tie the game 7-7 in the second quarter as he led the Falcons to a second straight win to end the season. William Wang led the Falcons on rushing with 119 yards on 31 carries, while

Despite the loss to the Falcons, Arcadia secured the Pacific League’s third automatic qualifier over Burbank Burroughs, who finished tied for third as well.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*