Heyworth’s Homecoming

By Rich Whittington, Writer
October 3, 2012 • 220 views

By Rich Whittington

La Canada, CA -

The St. Francis Golden Knights went to great measures to ensure that the evening was perfect for their annual Hall of Fame Induction. The field was perfection. Banners welcoming returning alumni and honored guests were hung with care. Students were out in abundance.

There was only one problem. A familiar figure was about to make his return. A once friendly face, now wearing the uniform of another. His name? Blake Heyworth…and this was his homecoming.

The Monrovia quarterback engineered his team to a 17-13 victory and a crashing of the party.

The game started off very conservative. The teams exchanged field goals, which accounted for all of the scoring in the first quarter. Monrovia scored first, on a 29-yard shot off of the foot of Mason Bryant. St.Francis answered, with a 42-yard kick by Mark Verso.

Monrovia scored the game’s first touchdown. With 10:46 remaining in the second quarter, Deshawn Potts delivered on a 49-yard touchdown run. This gave the Wildcats a 10-7 lead. St. Francis added another field goal (Verso; 26-yards) and a touchdown, courtesy of Daniel Kawamura. Kawamura’s 4-yard run gave the Golden Knights a lead 13-10 at the break.

The Wildcats scored the go ahead touchdown with 7:01 remaining in the third quarter. Monrovia’s Potts recovered a fumble and returned it 15-yards for the score.

The remainder of the game provided a great deal of excitement for those who appreciate defense. The teams combined to put on a display of defensive prowess that would rival players at any level. While Monrovia attempted to run the clock, St Francis made several key stops that allowed the Knights to have one final shot at coming away with a victory.

St. Francis began its final drive on their own 15 yard line with 6:18 remaining in the contest. The Knights were able to pass (60 yards) and run (24 yards) all the way down to the Wildcat one. With 1:15 remaining on the clock, St. Franks fumbled. The ball was recovered by Wildcat’s Linebacker David Gallegos. This recovery preserved the victory for Monrovia, 17-13.

Heyworth threw for 114 yards, completing 7 of 16 attempts. His counterpart, Jared Lebowitz, completed 16 of 25 pass attempts for 190 yards.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*