EMCSD Farewells and Welcomes
December 24, 2013 • 696 views
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
The December EMCSD Board of Education meeting was full of emotional farewells and warm welcomes. The packed house included prestigious local city politicians and school board members from surrounding school districts.
• The Board said to goodbye to board member Mike Barrios. Mr. Barrio’s wife, daughter and new grandson were attendance. Mr. Barrios was presented with a plaque and each board member spoke fondly of the leadership Mr. Barrios showed through 14 years of service. He will be missed.
• The Board welcomed newly elected member, Jessica Ancona. Mrs. Ancona’s family proudly watched her being sworn in by El Monte Councilwoman, Vicky Martinez. Mrs. Ancona took her seat on the Board with a shiny new name placard in front of her.
• Roberto “Bob” Cruz and Elizabeth Rivas were also sworn in with their families acknowledged among the large crowd.
• Nominations and elections for Board officers were held. Results as follows:
President- Roberto “Bob” Cruz
Vice President-Cathi Eredia
LACSTA Representative- Kien Lam
• The Board bid a fond farewell to longtime principal, Dr. Lillian Prince. She was thanked and praised for her 58 years of service to the district which included principal positions at many schools. Her husband of 58 years watched as the Board presented her with a large plaque. Board members spoke and reminisced about her time in the district. Board member Elizabeth Rivas commented that her children, who attend Cleminson where Dr. Prince is currently the principal, are sad and will miss her. Dr. Prince spoke to the crowd saying she still had lots of things to do in her life and it was about time to start doing them. She personally shook hands with each member of the Board as the crowd gave her a deserved extra-long applause.
• The Board approved the appointment of Carlos Salcedo to take the vacated Cleminson principal position. Mr. Salcedo is currently the assistant principal at Durfee. The staff and students look forward to a new chapter at Cleminson with Mr. Salcedo as their new leader.