Rio Hondo College Launches New App

by Valerie E. Martinez
November 21, 2013 • 437 views

image004Whittier

Information on everything from Academic Counseling to the Veterans Service Center is now available in one convenient, streamlined and pocket-sized place – on any smart phone or tablet.
The new Rio Hondo College app, which launched this fall, contains hours and contact information for several student services, a calendar for campus programs and events, College resources such as AccessRio and Rio Café, and – most importantly to many commuters – a feature that locates where a student parked his or her car.
The app is part of the Student Mental Health Awareness and Support Program, which was created with a $245,000 grant from the California Mental Health Services Authority. The grant, which is being dispersed over two years, has funded wellness education workshops, online access to social service referrals, peer-to-peer mentoring programs, and mental health awareness events.
“The Rio Hondo College app is designed to make the College’s services more accessible to students,” said Superintendent/President Teresa Dreyfuss. “That aspect of the app dovetails nicely into what the Student Mental Health Awareness and Support Program is looking to achieve. However, the residual benefits also include a wonderful convenience to anyone who downloads it, including faculty and staff.”
“El Paisano,” the student newspaper at Rio Hondo College, gave the app glowing reviews for its ease of use and information, calling it “beneficial for the everyday student [with] many features [that] will make college life easier with all the information you want in the palm of your hand.”
Content managers are constantly maintaining the app by uploading the most up-to-date and relevant information.
“This new app is improving student life by offering students a one-stop shop for the College’s wonderful student services,” said Board President Madeline Shapiro.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*