Mountain View High Students Attend FHA-HERO Conference

By Anne Donofrio-Holter, Writer
October 3, 2012 • 874 views

By Anne Donofrio-Holter

El Monte, CA – Several Mountain View High School students, along with advisor Lori Chavez, attended the 65th annual FHA-HERO state leadership meeting earlier this month in Fresno along with approximately 80 chapters, 750 FHA-HERO chapter members, advisors, administrators and business and industry representatives from across the state.
“FHA-HERO is a career technical student organization for those in grades 7 through 12 who are enrolled in Home Economics Careers and Technology programs in California public schools,” said Chavez. “The focus of the organization is to prepare students for roles as family members, citizens and workers in some of California’s fastest growing industries.”
According to Chavez, this year’s conference, “The Key to Unlocking Your Future Potential,” was designed to include interactive student leadership sessions, top notch key note speakers and career development workshops. Students competed for more than $100,000 in prizes and scholarships in over 20 different chapter, team and individual events in the areas of leadership and career development, instructional programs and career education. Competitive events were held in areas relating to the nine industry sector pathways included in Home Economics Careers and Technology education including child development, education, consumer services, family and human services, fashion design and merchandising, interior design, food science, dietetics, and nutrition, food service and hospitality and tourism and recreation.
Participants from Mountain View High School included Charity Wang in prepared speech, Maria Elena Mendez in salad preparation, Kasey Chan in patisserie, a type of French or Belgian bakery that specializes in pastries and sweets, Daniela Lucero in appetizers, Oanh Dinh in chapter degree, Briella Ho and Alexandria Tain in nutrition education, Isidro and Fatima Hernandez in energy conservation and Shan Lin in menu planning and table display. In their respective categories, Wang placed third, Dinh earned chapter degree and Isidro and Fatima Hernandez placed second. In addition, Chavez was honored with a Star Advisor Award – Gold level and Mountain View High School with a State Superior Chapter Award – Gold level.
Students Sandra Juan and Kathleen Leung served as voting delegates.
Students also had an opportunity to attend a college/career fair and participate in industry tours of the Fresno and Clovis area.
While at the college/career fair, guest speaker and inspirational coach behind the movie “Forever Strong,” Larry Gelwix, spoke on leadership and ethics.
“We had watched the movie recently and were so excited and honored to meet Mr. Gelwix,” said one Mountain View High School student. “We really enjoyed his presentation and were thrilled to be presented with an autographed poster from the movie.”

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*