Adult School Encourages Learning at Any Age

Anne Donofrio-Holter, Writer
September 26, 2012 • 432 views

By Anne Donofrio-Holter

El Monte, CA -The El Monte-Rosemead Adult School, which serves South El Monte, encourages everyone, no matter what their age, to never stop learning.  For older adults, the school offers a variety of programs to not only satisfy the quest for knowledge but to provide much needed social activity.

“We have classes tailored to older adults in a wide area of subjects that range from exercise and fitness to arts and crafts,” said principal Robin Torres.  “These classes are also a social outlet for many of our students.  If they did not have class, many would stay secluded in their residence, not having social interaction for days at a time.”

Due to the challenges of today’s economy, the school has been forced to begin charging registration fees, but according to Torres, “we are still considerably less expensive than other adult schools in the area.”  And although several classes have had to be eliminated, there is still a variety to choose from.

“Most area adult schools have eliminated their older adult programs this year expecting local communities to pick up this much needed service for older adults,” said Torres.  “While we have had to make cuts, we still feel as if we are offering a variety of classes that allow older adults to continue to exercise their mind and body.”

For additional information on courses offered, registration, fees and class locations, go to www.emras.edu or call 626-258-4994.

“In this time of economic challenge, the El Monte-Rosemead Adult School will continue to do the best we can to meet the needs of our community,” added Torres.

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*