El Monte City Council To Initiate Independent Review Of Lifeguard Firings

Andrew Paul Bettridge, Staff Writer/Staff Photographer
September 19, 2012 • 1,109 views

El Monte, CA- During Tuesday night’s regularly scheduled city council meeting, City Hall was overflowing with supporters and opponents to the firing of 14 El Monte lifeguards after they created their own parody of the “Gangnam Style” video by PSY from South Korea. As the crowds packed the city council chambers, seats were added outside in the hallways and outside city hall to accommodate all attendees.

With over 25 residents wishing to speak on matters in the city council agenda, that night most were covering the firing of the 14 life guards.

El Monte High School Cheer Squad came out to support their coach and former aquatic center manager Gabriel Gomez. They spoke of how dedicated Mr. Gomez has always been to his work, often putting aside his own personal needs to devote time and energy where necessary.

The City Council has launched an independent review of policies and the firings of the former life guards in question.

Check back for updates in the coming days and weeks on this matter which started locally and now has become and international issue, bringing over 1.5 million views to their “Lifeguard Style” video.

http://youtu.be/fpVmMtUlKQc

https://www.facebook.com/BringBackEMAC14

Comments

3 Responses to “El Monte City Council To Initiate Independent Review Of Lifeguard Firings”

1. Lisa Eldredge on September 19th, 2012 2:54 am

More city tax dollars wasted! Re-instate them first! Then do the investigation! Let our children get back to the pool with trained & certified instructors while ur investigation is conducted! Common Sense! I wonder if they have any!

[Reply]

2. Angel on September 19th, 2012 6:24 am

What happened to self expression and freedom of speech. You mean to tell me the city council don’t have any issues to deal with like funding programs for area children or upgrading the parks. I watched the video with my children … there was not any demeaning or derogatory acts in the video. I practically laughed my socks off. You people claimed the life guards used city resources …what were they. You people need some serious therapy. Maybe its time for the towns people to fire the entire city council!!! And the mayor too! Its 2012 get with the program!

[Reply]

3. Margaret Asboth on September 19th, 2012 8:12 pm

What in the world was City Councel thinking terminating these lifeguards? They and the video they made have done more to promote the city of El Monte than any public relations firm could do for you and for FREE. You should be giving them a bonus not terminating them. Your action just makes the city and officials look like a total fools. So what if they were using PUBLIC property? Who is supposed to us it? Are they not the public? So what if they were in their uniforms? Do they not take their uniforms home to laundry them?

I thought when a South Florida community near me fired a lifeguard for saving a drowning swimmer who was out of his area it was totally irresponsible. Well I guess once again California has topped Florida!

Get real and hire back those poor kids who did were just having fun.

I am sure the national, in fact international, out cry will offer overwhelming support for these kids.

Margaret Asboth

Sebastian Florida

(no I am not a kid – I am retired and fed up with governments who think they are better than the rest of us)

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*